MPC, in partnership with Prince William Social Services, West End Advocacy Group and Feeding Friends, is proud to support Serving Our Neighbors (SON) to assist the homeless community in Manassas. Starting in Dec. 2020, MPC began providing space in the church's front parking lot for SON's mobile drop-in center. This is a temporary location until SON establishes a permanent location in western Prince William County.
Why this ministry? Why now? During our "listening sessions" in 2019, our congregation expressed a yearning to expand our mission with a deeper hands-on approach to serving our neighbors. By supporting SON, we are living the values Jesus taught us to show love, friendship, and tp care for one another.
What SON Is: The mobile drop-in center in the church parking lot will be available, initially, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 - 6 p.m. to connect neighbors with Christian-based services, including:
- Referrals - for county-based assistance with housing, health, Medicare/Medicaid registration, etc.
- Food – snack bars, water and other packaged items; may also coordinate with area hunger relief services as a meal distribution location
- Computer services - hotspot location to allow neighbors to check email, apply for jobs, connect with social worker via Zoom, etc.
- Distribution of essentials - hygiene items, including masks, santizer to protect against COVID-19, donated cards for meals, laundry, bug spray, etc.
- Mail service
- Bible study and prayer - if requested
What SON is Not: The mobile drop-in location is a temporary, mobile bus. Therefore, it is not equipped to provide the following services:
- Regular meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Sleeping quarters
- Shower/bathing facilities
How Can You Get Involved? SON is in just getting started with their outreach. That means, we have an opportunity to help this organization make a difference in our community for those in need. MPC's Mission Ministry will be working with SON to define volunteer and support opportunities (e.g., colleciton of $5-$10 grocery and laundry cards) and will update this page. In the meantime:
Please review the SON Volunteer Handbook here >>
Visit the SON website at sonadvocates.org.