3.10.19 Rise Against Hunger
Sunday, March 10, 2019, from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Join the movement to end hunger in our lifetime: MPC will host its 6th annual Rise Against Hunger* meal-packing event on Sunday, March 10 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the MPC Fellowship Hall. The MPC Mission Team has dedicated a portion of their 2019 budget to sponsor the minimum 10,000 meals required to host the event. We invite support from our congregation and the Manassas community so that we can provide even more.
In 2018, more than 200 people from MPC, First Baptist Church of Manassas and the community came together and packed enough meals to feed 46,656 people! All told, in the five years we have participated with Rise Against Hunger, we have packed nearly 142,000 meals. We want to do more - and we need your help. Here's how you can support this mission to end hunger:
- We need volunteers to staff four shifts: Set-Up; Meal-Packing Shft 1; Meal-Packing Shift 2; Clean-Up
- This is a great opportunity for the whole family. Last year's volunteers ranged in age from 3 to 90!
- Sign up for a volunteer shift at http://events.stophungernow.org/MPC19
- Contributions will help fund additional meals beyond the 10,000 MPC has already sponsored
- Donate online at http://events.stophungernow.org/MPC19
- Donate during Sunday worship using the Rise Against Hunger of Special Offering envelopes in the Friendship Pads
- MPC members can donate online via MPC's Online Giving options. Select "Rise Against Hunger
Learn more abour Rise Against Hunger at RiseAgainstHunger.org.
*Formerly known as "Stop Hunger Now."
Page updated 2.13.19
Loving Hands Prayer Shawl Ministry
The Loving Hands Prayer Shawl Ministry is a group of MPC members and friends who gather to create knitted or crocheted shawls as gifts to those who have suffered a loss, are struggling with health or other issues, or are celebrating such events as marriages and baptisms.
We welcome all women and women to join our ministry. No experience is needed. We will train you! We currently have a need for help in the following areas:
- Knitters and crocheters to create shawls, scarves, hats and mittens
- "Fringers" to add that final touch to the shawls
- Prayer square knitters - a great position for new beginners
- Assistance with overseeing prayer shawl requests
- Clerical assistance requiring some light computer skills
Meeting times are weekly on Thursdays from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. in Room 40 of the church, if you are able to attend. All of the above tasks can also be performed from the comfort of your own home.
More Information available in the Loving Hands Prayer Shawl Ministry Brochure
Mission at MPC
The Mission Ministry Team at Manassas Presbyterian Church (MPC) represents the combined efforts of the entire congregation in responding to God’s call to help those in need. We witness God’s love in our community and the world by spreading the good news of the Gospel, reaching out to those in need, supporting self-sufficiency for all people and working for a just and peaceful world.
We use the scripture of Matthew 25: 31-45 and the example of the Presbyterian Mission Agency to guide us in our choices for mission outreach. Additionally, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) calls our denomination to engage in the tasks of restoring creation, through the 1990 resolution “Restoring Creation for Ecology and Justice”.
Co-Chairs for 2018: Leigh Ellen Baca and Sharon Maimon